Friday, July 15, 2011

TJP's Surgery

So like I said in the birth post, we had a minor bump in the road when TJP was almost two weeks old.  He started spitting up sometime during his first week of life.  It was nothing out of the ordinary, but by Monday June 6, he was spitting up more and more.  We still just figured it was normal, but by Wednesday I knew something was not right.  He was constantly throwing up, every 20 minutes, and more.  by the time Kevin got home I had already spoken with the doctor and we had an appointment for the next day, but then it got worse.
He just looked sick, and I could tell he was miserable.  The spit up turned to vomit, and so i called the doctor again.  The nurse on call had me give him 1/2 an ounce of pedialyte every 20 minutes, and she told me if he couldn't keep that down then we had to go to the ER.  I was a mess, I just felt so bad that my sweet baby was so sick.  I couldn't stop crying (I am sure the post-birth hormones weren't helping). 
So he wasn't able to keep the pedialyte down, and so we headed to ER.  I am so glad my mom had called to check on us, and was at the house when we had to make the call to go.  At the ER I was still thinking he must have a stomach bug, until the doctor starting focusing on that he was a first born male.  I just knew it was something else. 
So we had an ultrasound done, and it showed a borderline diagnosis for Pyloric Stenosis.  I would try to write out what that is, but it would be easier to describe if you click here.
We left the ER with an appointment with a pediatric surgeon at 9:00 am the next morning at Sutton Children's Hospital.  At the appointment we were admitted in the hospital and TJP immediately received fluids because he was so dehydrated.  They did another ultrasound Friday morning and confirmed that it was Pyloric Stenosis.  He had surgery at noon that same day, and was awake and out of recovery by about 2:00.  We spent 2 nights in the PICU, and were finally discharged on Sunday afternoon. 
I am pleased to report that he is doing extremely well!  He still spits up, but we have been assured its just regular reflux, and now it is just a laundry problem, and not a medical problem!

So my thoughts after this ordeal:
I went through mommy boot camp, and I feel much more assured in my capabilities as a mom.  Also, I learned to trust my instincts, I knew something was wrong, even when others kept saying it was normal.  Also, that even mommies need their mommies!  Thank heaven for mine!  She kept me as calm as possible, and was just wonderful through out the entire ordeal.  As was Kevin's mom. This little boy is VERY loved.

Getting fluids...

Waiting to go to Surgery...


Such a brave boy, awake after surgery and so alert...


Finally getting some milk again, after 3 days!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment